08 Oct 5 Ways to Get People to Pay Attention to Your Business
To be quite honest, until about 8 months ago, I had no idea how to run my own personal social media accounts, much less an entire company’s. But because I am a millennial, the internet and technology have been shoved down my proverbial throat and thus have become innately apart of me. So I was tasked with growing a social media following for Content That Works, and to tell you the truth, this task was not as easy as expected, especially because I was starting from the ground up.
Social media is an all-new monster that many of us are trying to slowly piece together, unfortunately conquering this monster is no longer optional. Lucky for you, I have watched countless webinars and spent months of my life figuring out how to master this beast, so I’ve put together 5 tips to help your social media efforts make a difference and even lead to some new business.
- BE FUNNY-This might as well be the golden rule for social media. Yes, be informative, but every once in a while throw in something funny that keeps yours readers coming back. Everyone loves a little laugh and entertainment. Not all businesses do this, so it will give your pages and platforms a leg up on the competition.
- Write about things people care about, make it personal– We live in an age where people are constantly flooded with ads and information, so as a rule of thumb, we should always ask ourselves why anyone would pay attention to what we’re saying. People have developed an internal filter to separate the good from the bad out of the masses of info swarming you on the Internet. The key to getting noticed is to write about things that people care about. Tell stories and make your social accounts have a personality. People are much more inclined to listen to and care about people than a computer.
- Don’t get discouraged– This is especially important for those starting at the bottom. Despite your efforts, if you don’t seem to see a change in your social post popularity, do not fret. Gaining followers takes a really long time and lots of continued effort. You have to make sure to pay attention to details: figure out the best time for and style of posts for your follower base and CAPITALIZE on that information. Gaining awareness on social media can take up to 2 years, but it’s well worth it in the end.
- ENGAGE!- One of the easiest things you can do is engage. Even if it’s just a like, do it. Just like in the real world, if you put yourself out there, something will come back to you in return. Take it a step further than simply returning engagement and begin engagement by liking posts, commenting and sharing.The love and feedback you spread is sure to be returned by your friends and followers.
- Be consistent– It doesn’t matter if you have a few great weeks of consistent posting. The trick is to never slow down. This goes back to being patient and not giving up. Over time, your posts will gain traction, but it takes consistent, hard work to pull it off.
A bonus point to keep in mind:
People love babies, puppies, and kittens; basically anything that is small and cute, people will pay attention to. Whenever you have a lull in content to post or want to switch it up from the serious to the not-so-serious, stick in a picture or video that makes people say “awww” and you will be golden.
Other things to mention:
- Paid/promoted posts- When starting from the bottom, aka literally 0 followers, it might be necessary to do some promoted posts. Facebook’s new algorithm denotes company pages while promoting friends’ pages.
- Sweepstakes- Another great way to get some new followers but might cost you a little bit of dough is to start a sweepstakes or competition. Although, people do love Starbucks, so a sufficient prize could just be a $25 Starbucks Gift Card.
Well there you go, my comprehensive overview of defeating the social media beast. Good luck.